Diminishing security propels immigration

Carlos Gutierrez, Spanish Editor

Individually we all fear different things, but there is something that we all fear, that we don’t talk about, and we don’t acknowledge as it should be.

Crime is often not  talked about honestly.

Why do people even get involved with the crime? There are only two options: either you got into it or you were dragged into it.

In Mexico about five persons disappear every day, in the U.S. about  960 people disappear every day according BBC Mundo. People’s opinion may say that Mexico is even more dangerous than their homeland, but stats show something else. According 1to SinEmbargo, in eight years Mexican fights against the drug cartels have accumulated the same amount of deaths as ten years of the United States’ intervention in Vietnam.

Mexico is full of cartels who reign the drug market across all five continents. Many parents feel their children are safer in the U.S., even facing percussions and possible deportation at the Mexican/American border.

She expressed how insecure she feels in Mexico, “but I’ll do everything for my daughter, even if that means leaving my home, my family, and my roots,” she said.

But in what way does this affect us as American citizens, well as students say they don’t feel safe anymore anywhere, because everywhere there is corruption and or the government alliance with illicit and criminalistic jobs. How do you feel? How does it make you feel that the criminal number #1 in the F.I.B wanted list, better known as El Chapo, has recently escaped of a maximum security prison in Mexico? How does it make you feel that the El Chapo’s cartel is uniting with “La Mara Salvatrucha 13” and that all of the cartels in Mexico are coming together to reign with horror and deadly fist the streets of probably every country in the American continent? “I feel secure of the image that the U.S. puts on their security, on the other hand, security in the inside is getting worse with vandalism activities inciting young peer into this,” said Manuel Garcia.

“I feel safe because the U.S pays more to have better security than Mexico. But hearing about what’s been happening in Missouri and those areas doesn’t make me feel secure at all anymore,” said Juana Borbolla (Jessica Zapata). “I feel safe here.” Borbolla said, “Unfortunately in my homeland things aren’t very good looking nowadays, with drug lords getting out of jail. Things are getting worse every day. Too much corruption, drug passing, and people trafficking are seen like something natural nowadays.”

We may be secure here, for now,but the cartels won’t stop, unless we stop them here, in school. English teacher Mr. Harward once said, that according to statistics, about 7,000 people drop out of high school everyday in the U.S, and where is all that people going? They are ending up in the streets, cropping our vegetables, clip our poodles’ toenails. If we want change, we don’t fight it from the outside, we fight it even before it happens. Problems aren’t fought with guns and blood, they are fought with the mind and ability.      

“The only hope that I see for Mexico is us, us as students and us as the people of the country to make a difference from the inside. We need to stop making the wrong choices. We need to know what the future can be like for us, even if it is just a family and a house, but not look forward into been in jail or 6-feet underground,” said Manuel Garcia.