The teachers that forget we have 7 other classes

Mckayla Philbrick, Reporter

School for 7 hours and then homework for what seems like another. It’s as if there is no time for anything other than school, work, and for some of us athletics. Talk about a nightmare.

It’s no lie that life can be busy at times. There’s work, school, sports, arts, musical theater, plus so much more. It’s like time is never on our side.  There’s also all of those teachers who forget the fact that most of us have roughly seven other classes with homework that also needs to be completed.

What some teachers aren’t fully realizing, is that students don’t always have the time to complete all of homework that is assigned to them. There are those kids who are too lazy to do it but they do have time, however most students just don’t have the time. When asked about hours of homework there were answers such as I only have time for “2” hours out of the “like 10” hours of homework I get at a time. High School Junior Ashley Rigmund(name withheld). She talked about her job and she works roughly 20 hours a week. It may not seem like a lot but after going to school for around 7-8 hours a day and working strate afterwards time isn’t always on our side. sometimes we tend to even stay up until late. “The latest I’ve stayed up until around 2 in the morning” Rigmund explained.  We as students do have outside factors in our lives. It’s not all school going on for us.

It’s not even just the students noticing the aspects. Parents are saying “Kids today are overwhelmed!” and “Schools are pushing too hard and expecting too much from kids”.

A frustrated parent stated  “Teachers nowadays assign these almost college-level projects with requirements that make my mouth fall open with disbelief”. Not only are students getting so much homework to the point of anxiety but they are also getting it to a point where they cannot comprehend what they are being given.

However there seems to be a problem throughout the research about homework. “there is no evidence that kids are doing more homework than they did before.” Brian Gill, a senior social scientist at the Rand Corporation.

With all of the concerns and the stress being stated by students it is hard to say which is correct but clearly something isn’t going right throughout the school system.  Students and many of their parents seem to be more stressed than ever. There’s only 24 hours in a day and not enough time to do all we need to do.

Homework can be beneficial;just not the amount being given. There isn’t much learning from homework there is more just practice. Not all students have access to the materials necessary for the level it is being given now. It may be the time of technology but technology isn’t cheap and on top of that a staggering 317,000 high school students are homeless.  With too much homework and no access to it makes things so much harder for many. Maybe, it’s time our education system makes a change.