Spring sports are upon us

Jesse Vigil, Sports Editor

There is a wide variety of spring sports for Warriors to join and support. Baseball, boys soccer, softball, boys tennis as well as track and field.

Warrior baseball has the most state championships in the state of Utah with 10, and the team is aiming to compete for a championship on a yearly basis. During the 2014/15 season the team took second place, in region two, behind Cottonwood. They played in the playoffs and won two games before being eliminated. “This year we expect a lot from ourselves after last year was both a disappointment and a learning experience for us. We have a lot of players that got varsity time last year returning this season, and we are looking to use experience and our hard work to make a run at it all this year.” said Logan Gibbons, a senior on the team

Boys Soccer placed second in the region last year and advanced to the playoffs. They played Copper Hills in the first round at home on the same day the baseball team played Copper Hills. The Warriors flocked with support for both teams and the teams were good enough to bring home two warrior wins. The boys lost their next game to Layton in a 1-0 heartbreaker.

“We might not look as good as the team last season, but we look to compete each game and have fun playing.” said Angel Tamirez, a junior on the team.

The softball team won region last year and had a two wins in state before being taken out by Riverton. The girls have a good mix of seasoned veterans as well as young talent. Expect to see a lot firepower from these lady Warriors this season.

The boys tennis team was well represented in state last with Kolby Silim in first singles, Remi Prince in second singles, and Martin Maghiar for third singles. The team also had doubles pairing Myles DeLuca and Cameron Larrabe (first doubles). The team scored one point, one win, in the overall state playoff picture. Cameron Larrabee says, “The team doesn’t necessarily have an overall goal except for have fun and kick some butt.” New regions present really good teams for the boys to play and test their abilities while still having fun doing an activity they enjoy.

Track and Field scored 9 points in state last year tying Northridge for 15th place in 5A. Very impressive considering Taylorsville High School does not recruit athletes unlike some other schools across the valley. Track and field is very useful for athletes that are out of season to stay in shape or for people who love to run or participate in outdoor athletic activities.