Cellular devices seize control

Cellular devices seize control

Daisy Fullerton, Reporter

When phones turn on, the world shuts off.

Cell Phones are becoming a bigger distraction every year for students. Social media distracts them  from schoolwork and lessons. If the student has headphones in, the music is drowning out what the teacher is trying to tell them.

It’s not only the students being impacted. Recently, teachers have been giving up on reinforcing the rule of no cellphones in class. They don’t want to waste time arguing with the student, so they simply ignore it.

However, phones can be useful in class if used properly. For example, most smartphones have a calculator app, and other apps that can have access to textbooks and other tools. They can also access Canvas and Gradebook to help keep up with due dates and grades.

“Phones are a good asset for finding information; it’s a pocket calculator, dictionary, etc. They’re great tools if used responsibly.” said Brendon Jackson(actual name withheld), a student. 

If there’s a time when the teacher isn’t talking and the students are working silently, music can help some students relax and concentrate. In an emergency, cell phones are quick access to friends, family, or any emergency contact if needed.

Jackson said, “Yes they (phones) can affect grades, both for better and for worse. If students are caught using them in class their citizenship could be affected. They could miss important info on homework and assignments such as directions, due dates, etc. It all really depends on how they use them.”

Phones in class can either make or break the grade. If cellular devices can be used appropriately in class, there shouldn’t be a problem. The problem is students abusing the privilege of cell phone use, and not knowing when to turn them off.

Every ring, buzz or ding takes attention away. Ten minutes on the phone are ten minutes that could’ve been used on the math homework due the next day. Text messages can wait until after class. There is a certain time and place for them.

Driving on the phone is also an issue. Distracted.gov, a website about distracted driving, said 10% of drivers of all ages under the age of 20 involved in fatal crashes were reported as distracted at the moment of the crash. Driving while texting can end someone’s life, and it only takes a second.

While being on the phone isn’t a bad thing, using it at the wrong time can have major consequences. If an employee was on their phone instead of getting work done, he/she would get fired, no questions asked. If a student wasn’t paying attention, grades would drop. Driving while texting could lead to a potentially fatal crash. Every action has a consequence.

If students-and adults-can determine when and where phones are acceptable and know when to turn them off, there would be less of a concern.