Friendships impact students’ academic lives

Cheyenne Smith, Reporter

When most people think of their school friends, it’s typically a casual subject. Teens often think their friends don’t hurt how they do in school, but what if they do?

Several teens don’t feel as though friends have a serious impact on grades. Taysia Trujillio, a sophomore, said, “It is my responsibility. I make my own choices.”

Oftentimes, students will get a report card they aren’t happy with, but very few take time to reflect on what impacted those grades. It’s important to take a second to figure out if the low grade is based on an individual problem or is related to an issue with family or friends.

“Instead of drifting along like a leaf in a river, understand who you are and how you come across to people and what kind of an impact you have on the people around you and the community around you and the world, so that when you go out, you can feel you have made a positive difference,” said Jane Fonda.

Another important thing for teens is to overcome obstacles and realize what is holding them back.

From ninth grade to twelfth grade are critical years for many different students. When a teen reaches the school age group of ninth to twelfth they are depended upon to earn their high school credits to graduate. Some find it easy to get side-tracked. For example, if a student is invited to a party and friends are encouraging them to go, most teens would attend the party rather than focus on homework.

“My friends do have a huge affect on my academics. Even though I know I need to do my homework, I’m probably going to go with my friends anyways and procrastinate to do my work,” said sophomore, Alexis Riggan.

Riggan continues to say that this also impacts the amount of sleep she gets each night, which is another important factor in school success.

“In my mind, friends do not distract my schooling unless I let them,” Riggan said.

Not only do some kids let their friends affect their grades, they affect them personally.  The friends someone makes can also have a positive impact. When students make friends who can push them to achieve their goals and strive to be the best person they can, that’s a good quality that a friend possesses, which ultimately can change their friends’ lives..