Apple releases new line of iPhones and announces Apple Watch

Xylina Session, Opinion Editor

“Here’s to those who have always seen things differently,” starts the Apple keynote video of September 2014, where Tim Cook led the company in its wave across the technological revolution.

“Those words mean a great deal to us. They help us express just how we see things differently and we hope they mean something to all of you who also see things differently and to everyone who is striving to move the world forward,” said Cook.

This fall Apple’s releases are significantly hefty, considering both the quantity of products being released and their sizes. ‘iPhone 6 – Bigger than bigger’ phrases the duo-release of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. 2014 is the first year the company has ever released two phones simultaneously.

Apple of course, didn’t stop there. The new Apple Watch is set to be released at the dawn of 2015. All products are pre-geared with the new iOS 8, which has been receiving several mixed reviews of its own. Released two days before the phones, iOS 8 ushered in updated versions of apps and simplifications.

“I just got the iOS 8. I think it has a lot of really cool features like the quick message, how you can send your messages quickly,” said Tiffany Nascimiento, junior.

She goes on to explain the cons to her decision as well. “I find that there’s things that I don’t like. When you’re texting it predicts what you’re trying to say, that gets in the way,” said Nascimiento.

Users around the globe complain that the new iOS might not be worth the update. Many argue that it takes up too much space and time to download, considering that a baffling 5 GB is required for seemingly minor changes. Compared to the iOS 7 update, this one isn’t quite as striking.

What seems to be causing fuss, however, is the 6th generation of iPhone that has recently surfaced along with it’s almost identical twin. The iPhone 6 is 5.44 in. x 2.64 in. while the iPhone 6 Plus is 6.22 in. x 3.06 in. At almost a full inch longer and almost half an inch wider, the Plus weighs a full 43 grams more.

These 43 grams allow for features such as longer lasting battery life than the iPhone 6 as well as more pixels for better resolution. However, both offer more HD retina display as well as other  advanced features. The Touch ID is one of these features, it requires nothing more than your fingerprint to substitute a security password and make purchases.

The iPhone dominates sales, holding 70% of Apple’s profit. According to The New York Times the iPhone is expected to propel the company into more triumph for the rest of the year if it keeps up. Over opening weekend 10 million phones were sold, which is 1 million more than the iPhone 5 had last year.

Even amongst the abundance of iPhones, enthusiasts already look to 2015 for the Apple Watch. The plan is to basically make a phone into a watch. Available in several styles and wristbands, the concept is to make a product that is more ‘personal.’

Students express their views on the unreleased product. “I remember when they came out with the iPod Nano Touch, and I had that and it was basically the same thing.” said Tyler Strickland, junior. “I probably wouldn’t want it. It is more of a fashion statement than anything else in my mind.”

“I’m going to get it, it is one-hundred percent worth it.” said Nascimiento in contrast. “When I saw it. . . it brought back the memory of when you were younger, having spy watches and putting it up to your ear. . . that’s like creating that real life childhood memory.”

The plethora of new Apple items doesn’t leave the public the least bit overwhelmed. Instead, excitement influences customers to take days off work just to camp outside stores for the privilege of being among the first to taste the newest fruit of technology. A store in New York had people in line standing as proxy for others for a reasonable price until they neared the front of the line.

Where there are Apple products, there will be a string of people, excited to welcome them into the world that has long awaited them, even if they could be deemed mere fashion statements.