Developing Habits for the future of studying

Brianne Gardner, Reporter

Another year has started and it’s time to get back into the habits that students have lost during the summer. And with this, comes studying and homework. Everybody works differently, so find something that works for you.

To start off, being prepared is key, you need to be able to have your things available for each class, so you can take effective notes, and do your work. “start doing your work. Don’t do anything else first. You’ll be tempted, but don’t do it. Because once you start working it will be much easier to continue working.” says David Leibow, Huffington Post.

Put the work that you find the most difficult at the top of your to-do list. It’ll help your mind get into working mode, and you’ll be able to get it out of the way, so you can move on to the less difficult work.

Try to get as much work as possible done in school. Even if it takes time out of your lunch, or free time in class. This way, you’ll be able to have a more open schedule for after school, and you’ll have your teachers close by to answer questions.

When asked what he did to study effectively in school, Mr. Farnes, Counselor at Taylorsville High School, said “I would actually type things up, and highlight what I needed.” Some students take notes to remember what was taught.

“Teachers are here to help. They want to help,” said Mrs. Stoddard, Counselor. “Don’t hesitate to ask your teachers questions if you don’t understand something. Don’t wait until the last minute, get a head start on your work, and know when assignments are due.”

Motivation is something everybody needs in order to keep up in classes. There are many ways to keep yourself doing what needs to be done. Find encouragement from family, friends, or even teachers and counselors. “Eventually you have to do things for yourself,” said Stoddard. “At first it’s okay to keep up your grades for other reasons, like making your parents proud. But you have to know that it’s something you need to do for yourself.”

When sitting down to work, try to minimize the distractions around you. Go someplace quiet, with very few people. Maybe that’s the library for you, or a specific room in your house.

Also, you can make study groups with your friends. If you work together with those close to you, it could help to motivate you into learning. Plus, it’ll make things a lot more fun for you.

Make your study schedule a habit. If you continue this, it’ll start to feel more natural to do your work, and soon, you’ll be able to get everything done in a short amount of time.

Lastly, stay committed! If you lose your focus and motivation, it’ll be harder to get back into it. You need to continue your new habits and follow through with your courses.