CW Shows Review

courtesy of QuirkyByte

courtesy of QuirkyByte

Taylor S. Fischbeck, Reporter

It’s that time of year again, CW shows are starting back up and giving us more adventure. Shows such as “Arrow,” “Flash,” “Supergirl,” “Supernatural,” and “Riverdale” have quickly become fan favorites. “Supernatural” alone started their fourteenth season as of Thursday, October 11 and fans are excited to see how the Winchesters solve their new crises. Season five, episode one of “The Flash” was full of excitement and ended with a cliffhanger to get us ready for the next episode.

Bennion Junior High ninth-grader, Gabe Serrano, said his favorite show is “The Flash” because, “it’s a very involving show. The involving part for me is the part of their life that doesn’t actually involve the Flash [because] they all have normal lives and jobs that [coincide] with real life and they have to face the same obstacles as the common person.”

Although the CW shows are mostly fictional, there are some things people can relate to. For example, in “Supernatural,” Dean Winchester practically raised his brother, Sam, because they had an absentee father and a dead mother. Some siblings know how it feels to have to raise their siblings because their parent(s) simply don’t care or don’t make their kids a priority.

According to TV Series Finale, the leading show based on current ratings is “The Flash” and in second place is “Supernatural.” Coming up in third place is the beloved “Riverdale.”

Sophomore Joey Stutsman said, “I think [“Supernatural”] has brightened a lot of people across the world together and created a sort of family. It’s been great to see the cast becoming friends over the years and not just be co-workers.”

The ratings the shows got are not surprising. Especially what rank “The Flash” sits at. It’s a heartwarming story and makes you laugh, especially because of Cisco Ramon (a.k.a Vibe). Though they have their dark times, somehow you can always count on Barry Allen and his family to make you smile and it’s not just because of their good looks.

Some parents would love to share these shows with their kids but are unsure if they’re appropriate for them. Stutsman says, “I think that it should be up to the kids’ guardian. I was about 12 when I started watching [“Supernatural”], so in my mind, it should be up to the guardian knowing what the kids can and can’t handle yet.”

Yes, parents should know what their kids can and can’t handle but that can be hard. Honestly, if they really want their kids to watch their favorite show they should ask the child themselves.

When CW first started, they mainly attracted teenage girls and now, they’re happy that their shows are attracting an older audience, which isn’t the case with most tv networks. They’re also happy it’s more even amongst genders. An article written by Jeanine Poggi for AdAge said, “The CW is highlighting how its audience is now more evenly split among male and females […]. And its median age increased to 43 years old from 33 [years] less than a decade ago.”

It’s nice to have a wide spread of viewers and CW makes content for all ages. If this interests you in CW shows, you should definitely watch “Supernatural,” “The Flash,” and “Arrow.” They keep you on your toes. Now, if you’d like a strong female lead, “Supergirl” is a wonderful show. It’s funny and has an engaging plot. Plus, Melissa Benoist (Supergirl) is just gorgeous and amazing. All the shows listed bring smiles to faces and have people feeling all sorts of things. That is the glamorous thing about CW.