Austin Carlile

Irma Hrkovic, Reporter

Austin Carlile was born on September 27, 1987, in Pensacola, Florida. His father worked in a restaurant and his mother was a Gardner. When Carlile was seventeen his mother passed away from the Marfan syndrome.
Just like his mother, Carlile has a Marfan syndrome. Marfan syndrome is an inherited disorder that affects connective tissue. As a teenager, he had to have many surgeries. On May 28, 2010, he had to undergo open heart surgery. He was forced to leave the band, but in 2011 he rejoined the band with Alan Ashby.
Carlile started his musical career in 2006 when he joined the band “Attack! Attack!”. He left that band after a short time and joined “Of Mice & Men” and is now the lead vocalist. He moved to Huntington Beach, California. He wrote a song called “Second and Sebring” about his mother.
In the spring of 2012, he launched his first clothing line. It is called “Aspire and Create”. With every T-shirt sold the money goes to the John Lennon Music Bus, a nonprofit organization that gives students a chance to create and record music. He also uses it as a way to do charity work, setting up food drives, and donating to many foundations.
In 2016 Carlile left “Of Mice & Men”. He tweeted that it was because of the surgeries and Marfan syndrome. He said that he needed to heal. He was also asked if he would still be writing with the band and he replied with, “No I will no longer be writing with them, one of the reasons I left [was because] they weren’t going to let me write what I wanted on next record. That’s not gonna happen. I will write what I want despite what that means giving up.”
In 2010 he married Giselle Carlile, but they broke up after only a year. After he left the band in 2016 he moved to Costa Rica and became a baseball coach. He had always wanted to play sports but as a teenager, he was not allowed to because of the surgeries. He still continues to write and make his own music.