Eating during class a necessity

Calle Hansen, A & E Editor

If there is one thing that we all love to do, it is eating. No matter what you love to do, you can add eating to it. Eating is a necessity to live, and to be happy. Food is important to your ability to pay attention during class.

Teenagers have a lot to do in any given day. They have four demanding classes each day to pay attention to, and ace. After that, they go to athletic practice or to their jobs. In order to have enough energy to stay awake and alert through the day, students need to make sure that they are eating enough.

Junior Chris Kerr says that he eats a small breakfast before he goes to lifting in the morning.

According to Kelloggs, only 50% of high school students eat breakfast. They get home late and the act of getting up earlier is sometimes too hard to muster. They try to get as much sleep as possible before having to start the same stressful day. They simply just don’t have time to eat ‘the most important meal’ of the day anymore.

This very reason is why it is important to make sure that students have snacks during the school day.

Kerr says that he eats 7-8 times a day.

Community Health says, “Eating five to seven times per day in a grazing manner with a good blend of protein, healthy carbohydrates, healthy fats, and lots of water is the best method to keep the brain and muscles fueled, the metabolism moving, and blood sugar levels constant. These outcomes are keys to maintaining optimum energy and body fat levels.”

Sure if you eat lunch that puts you around lunch, (if you have first lunch), however bringing a bag of cereal, and silently snacking can help you focus.

Some students bring a home lunch, and purposely pack extra in order to make sure that they can snack, and still have enough for lunch.

It is important to make sure that students have enough energy to make through the day, and be able to stay awake.

Study Skills said, “It’s easier to stay alert if you have a little something in you. Conversely, it’ll interfere with your ability to concentrate if you’re thinking about how hungry you are.”

Kerr said, “Sometimes throughout the day I lose a lot of energy it helps me refuel and focus.”

‘Brain foods’ according to Developing Human Brains is “Food that are particularly good at nourishing our brains are the ones that have high amounts of fats, nutrients, water, and just a little carbs(or glucose).”

These include foods s.[ pkjhn juch as walnuts, pistachios, almonds, hazelnuts, cashews. According to Developing Human Brains.

Other good foods to eat during class include fruits, veggies, and starchy foods, Study Skills says.

Kerr said, “Some snacks I really like to eat are crackers. protein bars, or if I have any, carrots”