School Musical

Kate Konatsu, Reporter

‘How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying’ is a ‘tune filled comic gem’ that took over Broadway winning the Tony Award for Best Musical and a Pulitzer Prize. How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying’ tells a story about the rise of J. Pierrepont Finch, who uses a little book called How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying to climb up the corporate ladder from a lowly window washer to a high-powered executive. This story takes on such a familiar potentially dangerous “company man”, office parties, caffeine addiction, backstabbing coworkers, and true love.
Theater teacher and director Mr. Garner said, “I think the musical is great this year. It’s funny. It’s really well written. It’s clever. It’s timely. It addresses things that are happening in the world, that has been happening in the world, for a long time and it does in kind of a light heart and funny way so we don’t take ourselves too seriously.”
There are many people part of this musical and there are many different parts to it. There are the lead roles, the technical people, the stage crew, the ensemble, the pit orchestra, the parents, the directors.
“When you are part of the musical, it doesn’t matter what part you play or whether or not you’re even acting in the show, if you are having a bad day, everyone is there for you… People from all parts of the show; principles, ensemble, junior, senior, orchestra member, techie… None of that matters when someone is having a bad day, because we are all one in this show and this is our show and our family, and we love and support all of it. Every person that is a part of the show, has seventy people behind their back when they’re going to fall. That is why I love being in the musical,” quotes sophomore Eva Black.
With the hidden humor and choreography, the cast of the musical is really enjoying the musical this year and there will be many more to come, but for senior Jaden Jensen and Holly Henderson, this will be the last musical they will be in during their high school career.
“It’s an interesting feeling because it was my last show and it’s my last show at Taylorsville High school period. So there’s a lot of finalities and everything that you’re doing and it’s kind of weird to think about how I’ve been doing this for three months and this is the very last time I’m going to be doing it…just a lot of happiness with a lot of the accomplishments that I have been able to make,” said Henderson. Jensen quotes, “It felt amazing just the whole entire experience was good we started off. The whole rehearsal was kind of scary and it was scary we didn’t know if the sets would be done but as the shows progressed we got better and we finished with an amazing show.”