Are the answers in the middle?

Sierra Yost, Photo Editor

Donald Trump’s election in 2016 was a recipe for chaos. Mass hysteria was felt on each side and contempt stewed between both parties. People were so divided, that having a respectable debate was completely off the table. It began to seem as though protests sprung up on every corner all over the United States.

Even with all of these protests and movements, communication was still restricted. Each party was raising their voice to overshadow the other– which is ironic because in doing so, neither side was heard.

This is where Independents come into the picture. The misconception of Independents is that they’re all ‘undecided’ or pretend to be in the middle, but only ever vote for one party. According to the Washington Post, both of these are myths. While Independents aren’t loyal to a specific party, they keep an open mind during each election and more than half have proven to be updated on political issues.

The main basis behind someone’s decision to join a party is their beliefs. Whether religious or moral, they tend to be the drive for voters.

“No one and nothing made me be liberal,” said Johnny Quintanilla, senior at Taylorsville High School. “The ideas they share are similar to what I believe.”

Due to opposing views, conflict becomes quite common. Disagreements become prevalent and, while they can be healthy to some degree, can also separate people.
Braden Henson, a senior at Taylorsville High School, said, “Mainly just kind of my religious beliefs [are the reason he chose to be conservative] as well as my family. I also just disagree with many of the liberal ideologies.”

Having an opinion is valuable. They are what make us individuals and create a beautifully diverse society.

So then, shouldn’t opinions be embraced, respected, and validated? Instead of accepting this huge gap distancing people, there should be more emphasis on how we can collaborate with each other to build a better world.

“[…] sometimes I wonder if there are no answers and we need to readjust the issue,” said Benjamin Hood, senior at Taylorsville High School. Sometimes, when people place so much importance on solving a problem, they miss the point entirely.

It is fine to be a Republican, Democrat, or Independent. Different beliefs are imperative– but it is also of equal importance to listen to and acknowledge one another.