Being The Bigger Person

Petty arguments, bullying and misunderstandings. All of these can put students into a position where they need to be the bigger person.      Although many may think being the biggest person is the most humble thing to do, some think otherwise.

Emily Lara, Reporter

Petty arguments, bullying and misunderstandings. All of these can put students into a position where they need to be the bigger person.

Although many may think being the biggest person is the most humble thing to do, some think otherwise.

“It will happen again. Some people just aren’t good at humility. It’s like pulling teeth. After a while you’ll start taking these behaviors as signs of character. This is just who they are. They find it extremely difficult to apologize. They don’t care about being the bigger person. Why should I re-build bridges when I’ll be stuck in this same situation a month, six months, or even a year down the road? It’s a waste of time.” According to Medium.

Although sources say it’s irrelevant to be the bigger person, other students argue  it’s the right thing to do.

Senior, Yohana Suaste said, “I think being the bigger person is important because if you’re put in a misunderstanding situation for example, with rumours, you can be the bigger person by making it clear rather than to fight about it or leave the situation negative.”  

Many students can agree with that and they tend to participate in those actions. Senior,  Bryan Naranjo said, “It’s the right thing to do to keep our environment positive and everyone gets along with everyone. Being drama-free and clearing of misunderstandings is a better solution to everyone including yourself.”

As stated earlier, there are many occasions where being the bigger person is important. If a student is getting bullied it’s better to put a stop to it than to leave it as that or fight them. There has been many fights at the school, many of them caused because being the bigger person is not in the picture. There have been many ruined relationships with friends, families, etc because miscommunication isn’t considered and in order to be communicating, you have to have the courage to be the bigger person.

“There’s nothing right about a misunderstanding. It is an error, for which you can blame yourself or the other person, though we generally do the latter.

Simply put, misunderstanding is a failure to understand something or someone correctly. It can also be a disagreement or quarrel. However, basically it is a misconception, an illusion or distortion of the reality. Misunderstanding is a false impression that is created in your mind. If you take something in the wrong sense or understand it wrongly, it is misunderstanding, whether it is about the words, actions, or behavior.

A misunderstanding can occur with or without any communication. The medium of communication can be a letter on paper, audio, face-to-face chat, video chat, or even a type chat on the computer or a mobile. Even abstaining yourself from communication could lead to the development of misunderstanding. However, misunderstanding is generally miscommunication, and not the lack of communication. Misunderstanding can happen to both or all the parties that involve in a relationship.” Stated aha-now.