Public speaking and anxiety

Presenting can be a terrifying subject to many students, They may dread presenting and do whatever they can to escape it, they may experience anxiety nonstop. It may be the only thing they think and stress about. Why do people feel this way, and is why presenting necessary?

Nevaeh Olmedo, Reporter

Presenting can be a terrifying subject to many students, They may dread presenting and do whatever they can to escape it, they may experience anxiety nonstop.  It may be the only thing they think and stress about. Why do people feel this way, and is why presenting necessary?
The answer is anxiety.  Anxiety is the feeling of worry or unease when a certain situation arises. Everyone feels anxiety at some point in time at least once, however, some feel it all the time.

Junior Andres Gonzales said,“ If presenting is not necessary, or a student is uncomfortable they should not be forced to do it.”  
Teachers often have students present to their fellow classmates simply because it is good practice for college or even a later career they may have. It also helps students get a better understanding of what they’re learning and how they can apply it to their lives.  Whether people want to or not, they will have to deal with public speaking at some point in their life.
Those who have Social Anxiety Disorder often feel immense stress and anxiety when having to deal with public speaking. They may feel physically sick or ill and deal with many other horrible symptoms. Social Anxiety Disorder can often run people’s lives and make them miserable.  Those who have never shown symptoms of Social Anxiety Disorder may begin to if they have to speak in public.
According to Mayo Clinic, “your environment can play a role in your development of Social Anxiety Disorder and often people develop the condition after an unpleasant or embarrassing social situation” such as a public presentation.
Junior Emily Esparza (real name withheld) “I have anxiety on a normal basis but public speaking definitely makes my symptoms worse […] I may not like public speaking but I also think it is important to do because it will help students later on in life.”
Presenting shouldn’t be such a stressful thing, it should be fun and exciting to be able to apply your learned knowledge. Teachers should realize this, and do their best to make their students comfortable and excited to learn. Just because public speaking is helpful doesn’t mean it always has to be done in front of an entire class.
They should make certain exceptions for students who feel unsafe or very anxious about presenting. Like allowing them to present in front of the teacher only or by doing an alternate assignment that relates to the studied topic.  This will help promote a healthy learning experience and help the student gain the assets of public speaking.
    Students may also dread public speaking because the environment they’re in is not always friendly. Teachers need to realize that some students can be very cruel and may be the cause of some students wariness to present.
The truth is while people may all dread presenting in class and feel anxiety it is actually very beneficial. Research from website Ginger Public Speaking state the benefits of public speaking. It helps students gain confidence when in crowds, leadership skills, and is a source of treatment for Social Anxiety Disorder. The more you practice speaking in front of other people the more confident you will become and the less stressful it will be.  
So while people may hate presenting in class our teachers are really helping us out by helping us grow as students and young adults. Presenting in class has also proved to help students learn more by viewing and presenting.
However, teachers should be more understanding to students when they are uncomfortable presenting. They should make it more as an option rather than a requirement because these assignments could be very strenuous to students. They should be more compassionate and caring to their students and help them get through the stress of classroom presenting.