Will DACA come to an end?

The Latinx community is furious with the president

Camila Angon, Reporter

“Under the presidency of Trump they let these protections for students under DACA expire last March, so their protections that did exist are expired or on pause,” Spanish teacher Señor Wells commented. DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival) is a program that undocumented students can use to study and work with no law problems. President Trump has been wanting to remove the program since he eliminated Obama Care. At the moment DACA is paused, Trump has commented on this issue by Tweeting out, saying that he is taking it to the supreme court. Will DACA be removed? 

Ana Zamora used to attend here, she graduated two years ago right now she is currently working to save up for college. If it wasn’t for DACA, she wouldn’t have had a safe job to pay off her education at the University of Utah.

Ana’s feelings about the idea Trump is wanting to take DACA onto the supreme court is “a little nervous, because you want to believe in humanity and that the right thing will happen, but sometimes things don’t work out. So, I’m a bit skeptical of what will happen.”

Trump tweeted on September 6th, “DACA will be going before the Supreme Court. It is a document that even President Obama didn’t feel he had the legal right to sign – he signed it anyway! Rest assured that if the SC does what all say it must be based on the law, a bipartisan deal will be made to the benefit of all!” This is proof that Trump has taken it to the Supreme court.

In order to be in DACA, you must meet certain requirements. These requirements are: you need to be under 31 since June 15, 2012, or have come to the U.S under the age of 16, have had no felonies, misdemeanors, or are a threat to national security with the application fee of $500, it can be costly for lower-income families, especially if there is more than one applicant

Senior Anette Reyes is one of the students with DACA. She left Mexico when she was around three turning four. Her parents wanted to come to the U.S so they could have better opportunities and wouldn’t have to struggle. Her parents wanted to come to this country for a better life so they wouldn’t have to struggle and to have more opportunities than they would have had. 

When Trump tweeted “No MORE DACA DEAL!” Anete was scared of what would happen to her and her brother. 

“They oftentimes didn’t have a choice because they came with their families, and so they might have been one or two years old and might not have any documentation. Many of these kids don’t know what their country is like, besides what their families have taught them,” Wells said. 

Most of the undocumented kids didn’t have a choice to come to a new country where they don’t speak the language.

On April 1 Trump tweeted, “Border Patrol Agents are not allowed to properly do their job at the Border because of ridiculous liberal (Democrat) laws like Catch & Release. Getting more dangerous. “Caravans” coming. Republicans must go to Nuclear Option to pass tough laws NOW. NO MORE DACA DEAL!” Trump is relating DACA to the immigrants crossing the border

“Must build Wall and secure our borders with proper Border legislation. Democrats want No Borders, hence drugs and crime!” Trump tweeted April 2, 2018. “What can be simpler or more accurately stated? The Mexican Government is forcing their most unwanted people into the United States. They are, in many cases, criminals, drug dealers, rapists, etc.”

These are just a few examples of why he wants to remove DACA. He has no good reasoning, saying immigrants are drug dealers and are taking away jobs. Meanwhile, us immigrants are taking the jobs “your people” don’t want to take.

“We’re living in an important time because we’re starting a new election cycle.”Señor Wells added, “We hold the future, it’s up to Gen Z to make a change and choose what we want to see in our communities. How we’ll improve the world and not destroy it. Let’s Make America Great Again.”