Planned Parenthood

Hina K. Namauu, Editor

Visual Credit: Hailey Salazar

Planned Parenthood is a trusted health care provider, an informed educator, a passionate advocate, and a global partner helping similar organizations around the world. Planned Parenthood delivers vital reproductive health care, sex education, and information to millions of people worldwide. Around the world some view planned parents as a place that only supports abortion. While Planned Parenthood provides more than just helping find an abortion clinic. Planned Parenthood is there to help any individual find what they are looking for.

Perla Sierra, a sophomore at Mana Academy, believes that Planned Parenthood is more than what people make it out to be. “Planned Parenthood offers many benefits that are helpful to women.” Planned Parenthood offers more than just abortions. They offer free or low-cost birth control, cancer screenings, pap smears, etc… Planned Parenthood also offers support to young female teens who are seeking knowledge about sex education but, are afraid of being shamed by family.

Growing up in Utah, talking about sex in most homes is a taboo subject. For some, it’s due to their religions. In the Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, members are told their bodies are a temple and that they shouldn’t do anything to harm it nor take any type of drug that won’t help members grow. It is believed that if a woman were to think about taking any form of birth control they would need to talk to their husband about that decision. On churchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaints.com it states, “Decisions about birth control and the consequences of those decisions rest solely with each married couple.”Choosing to go on any form of birth control should be an individual choice. It is up to the individual, not the individual and their significant other.

Vilene Woodward, a twenty-year-old young mom believes Planned Parenthood looks out for the youth and low income of her community. “Lots of people put down Planned Parenthood for nothing. People say they’re against abortions but, never think about the reason behind abortions. Planned Parenthood offers more than just abortions but, no one does their research to know that they just hate with no context.” One of the many reasons Planned Parenthood is put down is because people view it as they only provide abortion clinics when they offer more than just one service. “Planned Parenthood provided me with a pap smear and my very first ultrasound of my baby girl.” Planned Parenthood can offer services that others may not know or hear about. Planned Parenthood states on their website, “We provide essential reproductive and sexual health services like pelvic exams, Pap tests, cancer screenings, and testing and treatment for vaginal infections.” Planned Parenthood is a place women can depend on. By offering more affordable and most of the time free services.

Sophomore Jordan Sanderson believes in the rights and wrongs of abortion. While Sanderson doesn´t fully support abortions he understands why some may choose this route and is grateful to know Planned Parenthood is able to provide the help one may need. ¨Abortion isn´t something everyone should do as for me it’s unfair for the kid who didn’t ask for you to do the deed. While in some other cases abortion is something that can help if your body can’t handle pregnancy or it was a product of rape,¨ Sanderson explained. Planned Parenthood does offer resources for abortion and can help any individual find the right clinic for them. Planned Parenthood isn’t all about abortions it’s about offering the resources that some may not be able to find or afford at other places.

You can find a location near you at plannedparenthood.com Due to Covid-19 guidelines, you will need to call ahead of time and make an appointment or make an appointment online at their website.