Coach Wells

Jerry (left) and Coach Wells (right)

Hina K. Namauu, Editor

A good coach can change a game. A great coach can change a life.

Coach Rodny Wells is Taylorsville High’s weight training coach and former football coach. When you think of coaches, the stereotype comes into mind of coaches being jerks with whistles who just like to scream and yell at you. Coach Wells however does not fall into this category. Coach (as he goes by throughout the school) genuinely cares about each and every one of us.

If you’ve never been to his class you’ve most likely seen him serving a second lunch. This isn’t a part of his job as a coach: he does this because he has a love for not only the students but for the staff as well.

If you’re new to his classes, Coach Wells will go out of his way for you. He’ll go out of his way to teach you proper ways to lift and the proper safety measures to ensure no one gets hurt. He is one of the most understanding coaches. If you were to go to him and say “Coach I don’t feel so great” he’d understand and let you rest. Coach Wells loves each and every student as if they were his own.  Coach has been here since he was 42. He started off as the football coach here at Taylorsville in 2012 and brought our team to the region and we even hosted a playoff game.

His personal favorite year as a coach was his second year coaching in 2013. His own goal when he came to Taylorsville was to change the mindset. He wasn’t worried about winning games. He was worried about making these players feel like winners on and off the field.

Coach Wells is someone who is very rare to come across in a lifetime. If you could describe Coach in one word it would be humble. When Coach passes on he says he doesn’t want to be remembered as a coach but as a loving husband, father, and son.

Phenix Mera, a junior here at Taylorsville High School, takes the Football weight training class with Coach Wells. “Coach Wells is an amazing teacher who will go out of his way to help you with anything. How helpful weightlifting is. He’s an amazing guy who likes helping others and he’s always willing to lend an ear or hands for anything.” Mera started taking Coach Wells’ class his sophomore year of high school.

Talon Brady, a junior who takes the same class said, “ He is an amazing coach who makes you want to push yourself harder and is good with fixing the mentality.” Both Brady and Mera play football for Taylorsville.  Students would like Coach Wells to know you have changed the lives of many and we cannot thank you enough for that. You are so very loved and appreciated.

¨You cannot hold the weight of the world on your shoulders if your shoulders are not strong enough to hold the weight of the world. You have to take care of yourself, before you can take care of others,¨ said Coach Wells.