Trending styles this school year

Lily Hood, Tammy Phung, Ratanak Ung, and Shaelyn Openshaw in some of their favorite outfits.

Morgan Thompson, Editor

In 2022, so many styles are rising in popularity, especially in our high school. Anything from grunge to softer styles can be seen in the hallways. But why do certain people gravitate towards these certain styles?

According to The Vou, this year’s top styles include Softie, E-girl, Y2K, Vintage, Cottagecore, Boho, Minimalist, and Harajuku aesthetics. Let’s take a closer look at what aesthetics have been popular in our Taylorsville community.

Vintage

Thrift stores are currently the place to be. Whether you get your style from Savers, DI, or Uptown Cheapskate, vintage styles are all the rage. These aesthetics range anywhere from 1930s dresses and shoes to the 90s retro colors and baggy outfits.

“I try to go for soft 80s rock,” said senior Shaelyn Openshaw. “[At] the beginning of last year I really watched a lot of 80s chick flicks and I was like ‘that’s so cute!’”

Other vintage outfits include mom jeans, band t-shirts, chunky jewelry, overalls, denim jackets, doc martens, and flared jeans. But clothing is not the only thing bringing back these old styles.

“My bedroom is kind of wack. I have this wall in my room that I paint and change the mural every month,” Openshaw said. “It’s kind of 80s themed right now, it’s like a collage. […] Then I have my records from way way long ago that I got for free at the DI. I [also] love doing my hair. Lately, I’ve been trying to figure out the blowouts from the 80s, you know? I think it’s so cute.”

But why are all of these old styles coming back? According to Fashion Gone Rogue, “Celebrities and designers have borrowed style cues from the past to craft looks that are embracing our current fashion trends today. […] There are timeless things to enjoy.” 

It’s not breaking news to know that celebrities set our fashion trends. Some celebrities that have recently fallen into the vintage aesthetic are Zendaya, Bella Hadid, and Kylie Jenner

Boho

Similar to vintage styles, the boho aesthetic involves a lot of thrifted clothing, but with more neutral colors and flared hats. It tends to have a more minimalist look while still having a unique style to express your personality.

According to The Pearl Source “Bohemian fashion is laid back, unconventional, and highly expressive. Like hippies, bohemians are free-spirited and refuse to dress in order to conform.” 

Boho trends also have a unique history, which could be why so many people are drawn to this sense of style. During the end of the French Revolution, many creative personalities were forced into a life of poverty. “As a result, the artists of the time started wearing used and old clothing,” The Pearl Source said in the same article. “Soon after, once the economic climate stabilized, artists began expressing their creative side more through clothing – and more often than not, in eccentric and highly artistic ways.”

As the style grew, so did the medium. “My room is very put together and has a Bohemian look,” said senior Lily Hood. “I love plants and stuff so I always have a bunch of them.” Many shops and businesses are also adopting the appeal of the Bohemian look, such as Bohme, local Utah stores and coffee shops, and even Target.

Softie

There are many ways the “softie” trend can be incorporated into different styles. Generally, it is viewed as having pastel color pallets, frilly skirts and cardigans, butterfly hair clips, bucket hats, oversized sweatshirts, and button-up tops.

“As a mode of existing in the world, [softie] has been described as infantilizing, the Gen Z version of the girl next door, subversive, and empowering,” said an article by Vancouver is Awesome.

“Sometimes I like to be kind of cute and soft and stuff, but other times I want to be a little more dark and academia,” said junior Ratanak Ung. Incorporating the softie style into other trends can involve adding little pops of those lighter colors or layering multiple styles.

Like many other trending styles, the softie aesthetic began on TikTok. “#softgirlchallenge […] arose last year and today has more than 1.1 million views.” said an article by CNN. “And what’s heartening about this aesthetic, as well as the others, is that the TikTok culture encourages Gen Zers to play with their personas. One day they can be cheerful and cute with pigtails and barrettes, the next they can be sullen with lots of eyeliner and military boots.”

As the #softgirlchallenge rose to popularity, it began to draw in styles for the male audience as well. “The Soft Boy is the new decade’s response to toxic masculinity,” an article by Fashion Journal talks about the gender-bending style. “What we once would have shunned as ‘too feminine’, ‘strange’ and ‘eccentric’ is now being embraced by pop culture as cool and alluring.”

“I kind of like to go outside, not just with my clothing but with myself. I like to go outside normal stereotypes, like this normal masculine vibe,” Ung said. “I’m literally wearing a crop top right now. I like to go outside of masculine clothing styles because I love breaking these boundaries.”

Once again, we see these styles coming from social media and the latest celebrity fashion choices. “Think Harry Styles in a sheer ruffle blouse and a pearl earring at the Met Gala. Think Timothée Chalamet in a floral hand-painted suit on the red carpet. Think Donald Glover in a bright red satin button-down with a floral arrangement in his lapel,” said the same article by Fashion Journal. 

Indie

The indie aesthetic can change drastically depending on the person. The name itself means “independent.” “Whether it’s the goths of the 80s, grunge kids of the 90s, or the scene-kids of the 2000s, counterculture is one of the greatest indicators of cultural progression and a premonition of what’s to become ‘mainstream.’” said an article by Happy Magazine. Even though the indie style can differ, it generally involves bright colors and high contrast.

“I think [my aesthetic is] all over the place, it really depends on my mood,” said senior Tammy Phung. “Sometimes it’s more indie or basic or whatever’s trendy, […] But sometimes it’s my mom’s and my grandma’s old clothes.”

The indie aesthetic began in the 70s and 80s when popular bands pushed their style out into the world. “The original bands that have inspired this aesthetic include The Smiths, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and Buzzcocks. It branched from there, producing the much-loved grunge and alt-rock scene of Seattle,” said an article by The Trend Spotter. “This included the rise of bands like Nirvana, and more recently, The Strokes and The White Stripes. Heavily inspired by the scene, the style is laidback and effortless, featuring dark colors, flannel, and leather.”

As the indie style rises in popularity, it can be found almost everywhere. Ideas are posted on social media. Department stores and even supermarkets like Target and Walmart have been adopting the style into their clothing line. 

“Sometimes [I get my ideas from] Pinterest or TikTok,” Phung said. “Other times I’ll just be laying in bed and staring at the ceiling and I’ll be like ‘Oh my gosh, this would look cool together!’ Or at the store, I’ll be like ‘Oh my gosh, it’s a pair of bright orange pants, I wanna wear those!’”

These are just a few of the styles that can be seen resonating with the students here at Taylorsville High School. Countless other aesthetics help our students feel better about themselves and their appearance. As Phung said, “Just dressing ‘well’ makes me feel good about myself and makes me feel more confident.”