Newsflash: candy corn is trash

Steven Acero, Reporter

With the approach of Halloween we are beginning to see more and more decorations, and candy show up. With this comes the argument that swept twitter over the weekend: “Is candy corn any good?”

Many people have taken the popular opinion that candy corn is trash. With some people saying “candy corn, circus peanuts and peeps complete the candy Circle of Hell” and I have to say I couldn’t agree with them anymore than I already am.

In a class of 29 only five students actually like candy corn. When asked why they like candy corn some of them answered in a good way. Madisson Reder said, “Something about it just reminds me of Halloween, plus it’s halloween food and I love Halloween”

And others responded in a hilarious manner like Myriam LaFramboise, “If you think candy corn is trash then you’re trash”

Candy corn believe it or not is actually one of the oldest candies created, but seeing as it was created in 1880s it hasn’t really aged well. One candy that has aged well is chocolate. Chocolate was originally created in 1828 and still manages to be one of the top selling candies.

M&M’s, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, and the gum company, Trident.

While a bag of candy corn costs $3.65, a bag of fun sized candy like kit kats costs $3.48 at walmart which is a better deal due to a better quality of candy and better taste.

The reason why KitKat’s are better is because they are made where the world’s best chocolate is made: Switzerland.

Candy corn is disgusting according to the Brach’s labeling packaging; the ingredients are “Sugar, Corn Syrup, Confectioner’s Glaze, Salt, Dextrose, Gelatin, Sesame Oil, Artificial Flavor, Honey, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 3.” If you don’t count the colorings, five out of the nine of the ingredients are forms of sugar. If you have too much sugar that will cause damage to your liver and make you develop a “tolerance to insulin, an important hormone that helps turn sugar in your bloodstream into energy. This means your body isn’t able to control your blood sugar levels as well, which can lead to type 2 diabetes,” according to webmd.