• September 26Follow @Warrior_Ledger on Twitter!

Types of comics

Megan Breneman, Assistant Editor

In the world of comics, there are many different types readers can choose to sink their teeth into. A popular genre tends to be manga, which is a sort of anime style of comic. There’s also more exaggerated “realistic” types (if you will) like DC’s Batman HUSH. Then there’s everything in between. Cartoons are more simply depicted sketches that are still a type of comic. Most often cartoons and comic strips can be found in newspapers where actual comic books come in all sizes and types from skinny little packets to 100(+) page bindings.

One might think that making a comic is easy but that depends on the type of comic you’re thinking about. Creating comics there’s a major difference in each process and it also varies on what the artist prefers. There could be a simple process of a few sketches, but honestly, most comics are much more complex in the making than that. “I figure out what I like and what interests me and then the steps from there depend on what exactly I’m working on.” claimed senior Michelle Stamper.  A lot of time that goes into making comics as well, you don’t just slap them together like a sandwich. It’s not just a few sketches and then comments, it’s time and thought mixed with skill.  “Sometimes I can animate something in half an hour and other times it takes a few days, for me I have to be in the right mood.”, said junior artist Kris Baldwin who creates 3D animation.

Besides the sketching of the the art and  the making of it, there’s also the dialogue. The creators have to think about what they want their characters to say and what action they have to depict their characters in as they say it. Sometimes there is no need for the dialogue but a caption of what’s happening or merely the picture itself informing the reader. Senior artist Casey Rasmussen mentioned that he best enjoys drawing the anatomy of his characters in action to better relay his story for audiences.

Good examples of each style and story depends on what style one enjoys reading. If a reader likes cartoons then maybe they enjoy the political cartoons in newspapers or some popular examples would be the Charlie Brown comics or those of Calvin and Hobbes. However, it depends on the genre whether or not it’s considered a good realistic comic. Superhero comics tend to be what comes to mind when most people think of the word comic. There is a certain style that comics have though, they can’t be fully realistic. Good classic or modern examples might include those of Marvel’s earlier comics like the X-men series or the 1980’s Teen Titans of DC. There are many good comic companies besides DC and Marvel as well.   

Readers are often drawn to good artwork and storylines. The best types of comics aren’t just of good art work or just of a good story, they have to have both to be appealing to a reader. Comic enthusiast Hector Guzman stated, “ The art, first of all and the story behind it are what I look for, because if it’s not a good story then you’re just looking at someone’s drawings.”

In all, it’s really an interesting  type of work, both to read and create these illustrated stories. If a reader is interested checking one out, the library is a good place to go, or a comic store itself. There you can find nearly all kinds of interesting comics.