Spotlight: Tech Dept

Rayven Cann, Sports Editor

Roses The Chainsmokers, Alright Supergrass, You can call me al Paul Simon, Vacation Dirty Heads, Exposure Tom Macdonald, No one else Weezer

The Tech Dept. or Stage Tech is a class for students interested in many different aspects of production through the theatre. When people talk about Stage Tech, many get the impression that it’s only building, lights, sound, and moving sets when really there is so much more. In fact, other than the basics there are five other aspects; painting, set dressing, props, hair and makeup, and costuming.

One of the biggest and most time-consuming jobs tends to be costuming. When designing costumes, customers must first look at the vision of the story to getting specific to drawing sketches followed by approval then measurements and then finally making the costumes. Taylorsville High actually has one of the largest costume shops in the district, but that means that more things are lost and very hard to find. “My favorite part of the job is when I can go out and perform knowing that the show looks amazing because of all the hard work that I have put in.” said senior Costume Designer Kaito Davis.

When watching a show or production, there are pieces that make it a real production. When actors begin to use their props, it makes the show very real and ties things together. When managing props for a show, you have to read the script and watch rehearsals to see what you may need, you then go out and look or even buy the needed props. Props won’t be a finished job until everything is on a list, and set up on a table with labels and spots for each thing. Senior Props Master Kimberly Jackson said, “Doing props isn’t a huge job in the aspect of how many people it takes but I think that it is vital. Props are one of the things that make the show real. It adds to characters and the story.”

When looking directly for a good story, in the characters, you tend to look at little details without knowing it. “Oftentimes, what can take you out of the story is that the hair is out of the time period, so it’s important that research be done so that doesn’t happen.” said senior Hair and Makeup Designer, Megan McArthur. Each character has their own persona, so if a character acts like an old man, but looks fifteen, it tends to really distract and confuse your audience. Without hair and makeup, characters would be blurs on stage that have no real effect.

Tech is not just the job of set-building, lights, and sound, but rather many different aspects. Designing anything for the show may seem like a big job, but in the end pride and great memories are what really matter. Tech is always look for designers of all different talents. If you are interested in becoming a designer of any kind, talk with Mr. Garner in B106.