SBOs use new ideas to form student unity

Jasper Ramirez

[SBOs] Ryan Lee, Jaden Muir, Marissa Hughes, and PJ Faalavelave, work on putting together the Homecoming assembly layour in their SBO room.

Alexandria Anderson, Reporter

According to the National Association of Student Council, “A Student Council is a representative structure for students only, through which they can become involved in the affairs of the school, working in partnership with school management, staff and parents for the benefit of the school and its students.”

When the current SBOs were running last year, they said they would work hard towards the goals they set. Their first task was the hello assembly, then the anti-bully week  and now Homecoming.

“I feel that [the SBOs] are already living up to their potential this year,” said Historian Danielle Calacino.

There are social media posters across the school telling students to sign up for the school’s Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat. This is how the school and the SBOs plan to keep the students involved this year.

“One of my main focuses this year is to include the student body as a whole, not just certain groups,” said  Senate President Marissa Hughes.

A common concern throughout the student body officers is the amount of school spirit. This year they are trying their hardest to get student involved in activity by using social media. SBOs will be updating social media and covering the walls with posters about upcoming events.

“[The SBOs] are trying to have more people involved, so during the week [SBOs] are advertising for different sport teams like soccer and  tennis, [the sbo’s] are just trying to get people to support each others because what we really want for this year is to show unity among the taylorsville students,” said Secretary Paul Faalavelave

School spirit can help a students commit to education and creates a positive learning environment for both students and teachers. Having pride in a school give students confidence that they can succeed in their school.

“[SBOs] need to make the students feel more involved, if we show school spirit [students] will show school spirit,” said Jaden Muir President.