• September 26Follow @Warrior_Ledger on Twitter!

Super bowl draws student views

Arianna Faamausili, Reporter

There was so much controversy and excitement in the Super Bowl 50 on Sunday, February 7, between the Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos.

Carolina started their season 14–0, not only setting franchise records for the best start and the longest single-season winning streak, but also posting the best start to a season by an NFC team in NFL history. In the playoffs, the Panthers beat the Seattle Seahawks in the divisional round at an ending score with 27-23. Carolina then blew out the Arizona Cardinals in the NFC Championship Game by a score of 49–15 to advance to Super Bowl 50. This is the second time Carolina made the Super Bowl, and the first time in Newton’s career. The Panthers last made the big game in the 2003 season, falling to the Patriots, 32-29. The Broncos made the Super Bowl eight times in their history, although they only won it twice.

Going into the Super Bowl, the Denver Broncos had a record of 12-4 and won the Divisional Playoffs against the Pittsburgh Steelers at 23-16. The Broncos also had an intense defeat against the New England Patriots for the AFC Championship at 20-18. Their star quarterback, Peyton Manning, is experiencing his 18th season this year. In an interview for his brother, Eli Manning who plays for the New York Giants says, “I hope he can win, but his impact has already been made and his legacy–”

The Super Bowl is the National Football League championship game, played annually between the champions of the National and the American Football Conferences. This year’s Super Bowl will be held at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California. According to the stadium’s website, this stadium is the greenest and most technologically advanced professional football stadium in the United States. “The Super Bowl 50 Host Committee is focused on creating a Super Bowl that not only brings people together, but also gives back in a meaningful way and leaves a lasting impact in the Bay Area. The Host Committee seeks to make Super Bowl 50 the most giving ever, and is investing in Bay Area community initiatives and high-performing nonprofits through the 50 Fund, its signature philanthropic fund.”

Many students have agreed that the Carolina Panthers would take this one. “They have Cam Newton, who is on a roll with his career,” senior, Elijah Salazar shares. This star quarterback has definitely mastered the little things. On nfl.com, it says, “Newton throws with tremendous anticipation, whipping the football out well before his receivers make their breaks.” The Denver Broncos won’t know what’s coming.

For other students, it was the total opposite. “If Denver’s defense gets the kind of field-position advantage we saw over the past few weeks, the Broncos have a pretty good shot of keeping this game close,” senior, Kaylee Genesy says. This well-coached team has made it this far and could possibly go even farther.

At the end of the game, the Denver Broncos came out with a win with a score of 24-10. The Broncos took an early lead in Super Bowl 50 and never trailed. Newton was limited by Denver’s defense, which registered seven sacks and forced him into three turnovers, including a fumble which they recovered for a touchdown. Denver linebacker Von Miller was named Super Bowl MVP; Miller recorded five solo tackles, 2½ sacks, and two forced fumbles in the game.