Track season is racing towards us at full pace

As the crisp winter air carries in rain showers and the growth of new flowers, it also brings along a new season of sports. One of the many sports involves track and field. In order to better an athlete’s performance, they will undergo conditioning.

Students on last year's 2016-2017 track team race against Murray High School's track team during a track meet.

Nizhoni Guthrie

Nizhoni Guthrie

Rayven Cann, Reporter

“Long distance runners have continued to run since November, but those who are just joining conditioning usually begins early January and continues until the beginning of the season in March,” said Junior Landon Nichols.

Conditioning is a series of exercises based around the sport, and the athletes’ needs. Junior Thanh Le says “We run different mileages with different exercises and stretching.”

Track runners start out with small differences before becoming longer and harder. Students will start with different tasks like the long jump, high jump, or shot put so that they can become competent in all areas. Runners will begin with lighter, easier, and shorter runs before upping the mileage and terrain.

In order to prepare athletes for the season, conditioning has to be modified around their needs. Depending on the athlete’s age and activity, their training must be specialized due to the difference in physical make-up. Www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov said, “In addition, a more specific and adequate muscle function was thought to help in the prevention of injuries.”

“The closer that athletes come to testing and training for the muscle function needed in their sport, the greater the chance of increased performance,” said www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. By modifying exercises such as stretching and cardiovascular training, the joints can be better supported and can prevent injuries easier.

“Our [2016-17] track team had tended to place in at least second in a majority of our races,” said Junior Liam Ottley. As last season’s runners kept up Taylorsville reputations, the current seasons team is faced with the challenge to keep up standards. Le said “Some struggles include building lung capacity and shin splints.” Shin splints are a common injury for runners, that is fixed with time and ice.

Senior captain, Brandon Rico said, “My advice to new members would be to remember that you are in a race with yourself just as much, if not more, as you are in a race with other people.” Track isn’t just a race against other competitors and schools, but yourself. Track is meant to help improve yourself in many ways.

Just as any sport, there are some hardships that athletes will need to overcome. “The hardest thing about track is getting past the mental part of it. Running is such a mental sport, more than most think,” said Senior Jacquie Dimond. Runners have to constantly conquer their fears and get themselves in the mental state to run a race. Runners need physical and mental just as most athletes may.

The track team is always accepting newcomers. Dimond also said, “The team is so kind. This team is like family.” The track team meets up in Mackay’s room, B102, around 2:30 most days after school.